Thursday, December 30, 2010

I'm "Nesting" again!!!

I went to lunch with some of my favorite Missionary Moms on Monday. As we visited, one Mom (whose son returns from the Jacksonville Mission in May) asked me when I started the countdown. After my first completely honest answer of, "The day she left!" I revised that to about 100 days.

With the Christmas break off from school and Bob taking this week off to be home with me, we decided it would be a good time to get a lot of things done to get ready for Sammi's homecoming. Funny part is, one of the Missionary Moms equated this feeling/obsession/whatever you want to call it with
NESTING!!
As weird as that sounds, that's what I'm feeling! There are so many things I want to get done "just right" before she comes home; it feels like I'm preparing for a baby! I guess it's true though...I've given my "baby" to the Lord for eighteen months and now it's time for me to prepare to "get" her back. I want everything to be just right. Yes, I know she was here a few months ago, and believe me, she let us know what needed to be fixed, cleaned, straightened, etc. But now it's MY turn to make sure it's all good. Plus, with her homecoming needing to be inside (instead of out in the backyard like all our other big events), the house needed to be cleaned and many things need to be fixed. There will be a lot of people who I know won't judge me but I still want it "just so." 

So, before the Christmas break, I started my list. It keeps growing but we're also able to cross of a few of the projects. Over the next six weeks (FROM TODAY!!!!), I hope to cross them all off so we can thoroughly enjoy her when she touches down in SLC!

My list:
1. Paint upstairs hallway. CHECK.
2. Hang new individual pictures in hallway. CHECK.
3. Paint white (which also evolved into painting the red) walls in kitchen and stairway. CHECK.
4. Hang new family pictures over stairway. CHECK.
5. Order and hang new wall words over the stairway. CHECK
6. Update Sammi's pictures on the "Mission Board". CHECK.
7. Buy new blinds for the sliding door in the kitchen.
8. Wash all walls and blinds in the living room.
9. Downstairs bathroom:
    a. build wall in hallway to the bedroom. DECIDED NOT TO DO IT.
    b. fix walls. CHECK.
    c. fix ceiling tiles.
    d. paint. CHECK.
    e. buy new towels/rugs. CHECK.
    f.  make valance and curtains. CHECK.
10. Buy new rugs and towels for the upstairs bathroom. CHECK.
11. Clean Sammi's room and find a place for everything we've stored in there for the past 18 months. :(

OK...I'm exhausted now. I know there's more but I'll have to add to it later!

2 comments:

Mysha said...

Man! It sounds like you are also going to have to start a donation jar!
p.s you guys did an AMAZING job on the family Christmas party. We loved it!

West Family said...

That's funny! I always say I need company coming to stay with us so I can be forced to clean out all the corners! Can't wait until she is home for good:) How is Mal feeling?