Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A GREAT Example!

Each year, I teach my students a variety of reading strategies as we read novels. I LOVE teaching literature and helping students learn to enjoy reading, helping them to see the deeper meaning, but most of all, I LOVE teaching literature that inspires them to be a better person.


Over the past few years, I've taught two of Jason Wright's books: Christmas Jars to 8th graders and The Seventeen Second Miracle to my 9th graders. They LOVE it!! Each year, I give some background on how I know Jason, how he came to write the books, etc. This year, as I told the story to my 9th graders, I mentioned the basic premise of Christmas Jars and the message behind it. One student, in 4th period, listened intently, took the idea home to share with his family, and IMMEDIATELY began collecting his loose change for his own jar. Each time he updated me on the progress of the jar, his excitement grew. One day, he asked me where he could buy a copy of the book; he wanted to include it with his jar. I was shocked to realize he'd never read the book...he was just going off my brief overview! WOW!! I gave him one of my copies and told him to read it (I also told him where he could buy one). He brought it back a few days later and said it was GREAT! He'd also found a copy for his gift.

Christmas break rolled around and I begged him to write up his experience and send it to me over the vacation. I watched my email and after a few days, found his email. It was FABULOUS!! I forwarded it to Jason who quickly posted it on his "Christmas Jars" website. (I tried to find it...if/when I can, I'll link it here. It's a GREAT story!!)

In March, Jason was here for a workshop so naturally, I coerced him into coming to my school to meet Mason. It was the greatest experience to watch them talk, listen to Mason share his story, watch his proud Mom beam, etc. A few weeks ago, Jason emailed and said he was throwing around the idea of writing a column for the Deseret News Mormon Times about Mason and the experience. I was so excited! I gave him several reasons why he should and then waited...

The article appeared online today and will be in Thursday's edition! How great it is to share the story of a valiant young man in a time when there is so much negative. What an honor to teach him English and learn life lessons from him!


Read the ARTICLE here: "Davis County teen shatters hero stereotypes" You won't be sorry! :)

No comments: