Friday, June 18, 2010

Summer Book #4: The Help


The Help by Kathryn Stockett

I had this book recommended by two good friends, Heidi and Linda, after discussing The Hunger Games series and then heard about it from several other friends afterward. While it is COMPLETELY different, it fell into the "GREAT Book" category. I am definitely expanding my usual genre of books this summer and I'm LOVING it!! The Help is funny, heart-warming, and gut-wrenching all within a few pages. Growing up in Utah in the 60s, I was oblivious to the happenings in the south; however, we had our own versions prejudice in Bountiful. My grandpa, born in 1892, referred to African Americans as "G**D***N-word" (I don't mean any offense to anyone by stating that...). My parents said they weren't prejudice, just don't bring anyone home. At Viewmont  High School in the late 1970s, Tony was the only African American and he was popular!! One night when our kids were fairly small (all under 10), Bob and I were deriving home and talking about how things have changed over the years. We didn't realize the kids were listening in the back seats. I don't remember which one of them piped up and said, "We don't know any black people do we?" Bob and I looked at each other and replied, "What about Noelle, Loren, and Chase?" (An amazing family in our ward who adopted three African American children.) Their reply, "They're black??" We were so proud they hadn't even noticed there were ANY differences in anything!! I'm so grateful times have changed for the better, at least in my little corner of the world. It's amazing to me that people could and did treat other people the way they did...and got away with it! 

Kathryn Stockett touched my heart and left me with another "thinker" book! I love those!!


Pages: 451

No comments: