Monday, August 2, 2010

Summer Book #9--Sold

Sold by Patricia McCormick

My good friend, Kate Swain, gave this book to me at the beginning of school last year. I read the cover and wasn't very motivated to read about a 13-year old girl from Nepal being sold into prostitution. Maddi read it and really liked it although she kept saying how SAD it was. Finally, last week I picked it up as I went to SLCC to hang out with Maddi as she took a test. I was instantly hooked! Patricia McCormick wrote it in a really interesting style...I'm not sure how to even describe it. It kind of reminded me of "Out of the Dust"...not novel form but you still get the story/message. It was heart-wrenching to think things like this truly are happening in the world today. This is not some random fictional story...it REALLY happens! However, it also shows the strength of the human spirit! I highly recommend this book but also give the warning...be prepared to be heart-broken. 

Pages: 272

No comments: