Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer Book #7: Change of Heart

Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult

After reading My Sister's Keeper and Plain Truth, I was excited to read another Jodi Picoult book. In fact, when I bought this one at Sam's Club, I also bought The Tenth Circle. The cover of Change of Heart was intriguing and, of course, like all the other books I've read this summer, I've had a hard time putting it down. Thank heavens for a camping trip and driving! :) 

I can't decide if I liked this book or not...It's got a gut-wrenching storyline that sucks you in but also is laced with a lot of religious themes that I didn't understand very well (Jewish and Catholicism), and it insinuated the death-row inmate/main character was possibly the Messiah. In true Picoult fashion, it made you consider your opinion about capital punishment, organ donation, what you would do in a crisis, as a member of a jury, etc. But...bottom-line, I really struggled with the idea that Shay Bourne could miraculously heal or perform various miracles and the parallels Picoult drew between him and the life of Christ. I thought it was too over the top and sacrilegious. 

While I enjoy her books and books that make me "think," I think I need a break from heavy reading and need something more enjoyable...

I think I'll give Goose Girl by Shannon Hale a try again. 

COME ON AUGUST 24!!!! (NOT because school's starting...because Mockingjay will be released!!)

Pages: 447

No comments: